I was kind of musing on the road to ruination we are all skipping merrily down the other day when it occurred to me that there are some well-defined classes of people whose activities are the major reason why things are a mess. And the next thought was: who could we do without, and who would we be better off if they were on Ark B?
- Marketers and public relations professionals.
- Board members.
- Education administrators (by which I mean the bureaucrats who make the make-work the rest of us have to administer).
- Around 90% of health bureaucrats.
- Political commentators and all journalists who interview other journalists, even on news broadcasts.
- Sports commentators.
- Sports administrators (hey, people will play and follow sport if it’s interesting enough).
- Arts funding bodies (ditto).
- IT policy makers.
- Economists (the ones that do the academic kind of economics who end up running things for governments).
- Social workers.
- Counsellors. Pick a variety, it’s all the same.
- Military strategists in times of peace.
- Anyone who teaches any of the above.
- Ministers and departments in national governments for:
- Telecommunications (who can ride that tiger?)
- Transport (ditto)
- Sport (see above)
- Tourism (if you’ve got it and it’s worth visiting, why do you need a government department?)
- Ageing (you’re going to do it no matter what, and if they aren’t providing you health or welfare services, then the problem lies in the health and welfare departments)
- Mental health (these departments are better thought of as departments opposed to the treatment and care of the mentally ill)
- Social inclusion (whatnow?)
- Any ministry which deals with issues that are unknown before about five years ago (they’re made up for political purposes in that case).
Eliminating these people [i.e., their professions; possibly not the individuals themselves. They could be retrained to do something useful, perhaps] would free up trillions of dollars, and make those who actually do the “coalface” work on which they all parasitise free to provide the actual services.
And next, let’s kill all the lawyers…